Monday, January 25, 2010

A Hallelujah for Haiti

I caught a bit of the Hope for Haiti Now telethon last Friday night. While I almost turned the channel during Madonna's annoying-yet-poorly-executed version of Like a Prayer, I kept watching in hopes of seeing something better. I was glad I did: I was soon rewarded with this terrific cover of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah by Justin Timberlake and his newly-signed artist (and former Mickey Mouse Clubhouse castmate) Matt Morris:






While the song has nothing to do with Haiti, it was emotionally evocative and made me realize that despite my personal commitment to do so I had not yet donated any funds to the relief efforts. Here are a couple of alternatives if you're looking for a good place to put your money:

LDS Philanthropies Humanitarian Services

Direct Relief International

UNICEF

American Red Cross

6 comments:

Jenny said...

I totally agree!! What was with Madonna's song, but oh well I loved Justin Timberlakes!! I loved that! Anyways my 7 year old made us get on The hope for Haiti now web site and donate there, so we did.

Layton family said...

I downloaded that song!

Jamie said...

My all-time favorite song. I collect versions and covers of it. Justin's is good, but it's got nothing on the Jeff Buckley or kd lang's.

Cynthia said...

Beautiful.

Rookie Dad said...

Jamie, I really like the Buckley version but its a bit too stripped down for me. I like a bit more in the accompaniment.

Rookie Dad said...

Ok, just downloaded kd lang's version. It IS amazing.