Two Eyes, a Nose and a Tongue
This Christmas was one of several firsts. It was Baby Kate's first Christmas, our first Christmas in our own home and our first Christmas playing hosts for Christmas morning and Christmas dinner. It was great fun to have DW's family (consisting of DW's parents, grandmother, her five siblings, four spouses and three babies) here, and even though Baby Kate couldn't keep up with her two cousins zooming around the house, it gave us a preview into what she'll be able to accomplish by this time next year. The "Best Gift Award" goes to DW's sister Megan, who gave in to her husband Scott's pleas for an X-Box 360, inspiring the inevitable marathon Halo 3 and Call of Duty 4 marathons between the four husbands, often lasting deep into the night. I've decided that the X-Box should probably carry a warning label that says "Extended playing (while wildly entertaining) may be hazardous to your marriage." We survived with all relationships intact, but only after some lengthy pleading, cajoling and apologizing.
On the 27th, we drove with DW's family (the same Christmas crew, minus Grandma Kerr) up the coast to Monterey, California, where we stayed for three days. On the way, we stopped in Pismo Beach to pay homage to the Splash Cafe, the place my mother claims has the best clam chowder in the country. We had a great time together, including dinner at Clint Eastwood's Mission Ranch, a glass-bottomed boat ride around Monterey Bay (note: in December about the only thing you see through the glass bottom is water), a trip to the Monterey Bay Aquarium (where we saw the only Great White Shark currently in captivity), hot fudge sundaes at Ghiradelli's chocolate shop, a long-distance view of Hearst Castle and a view of the elephant seal breeding grounds near San Simeon.
On the 27th, we drove with DW's family (the same Christmas crew, minus Grandma Kerr) up the coast to Monterey, California, where we stayed for three days. On the way, we stopped in Pismo Beach to pay homage to the Splash Cafe, the place my mother claims has the best clam chowder in the country. We had a great time together, including dinner at Clint Eastwood's Mission Ranch, a glass-bottomed boat ride around Monterey Bay (note: in December about the only thing you see through the glass bottom is water), a trip to the Monterey Bay Aquarium (where we saw the only Great White Shark currently in captivity), hot fudge sundaes at Ghiradelli's chocolate shop, a long-distance view of Hearst Castle and a view of the elephant seal breeding grounds near San Simeon.
Ready to board for a boat tour around the Bay
The weather for the boat trip was quite cold, and we bundled Baby Kate up in her baby carrier so you could only see her eyes, nose and mouth (see first pic above). Given that her arms and legs were wrapped tightly, she compensated by wildly moving her tongue in and out. She then fell asleep through the whole boat trip. But the rest of us saw sea lions, common dolphins and all sorts of sea birds.
Elephant Seals in San Simeon
All in all, Baby Kate behaved herself well on the trip, and having her in our hotel room was much more pleasant than the last time we tried it. She even did well on the long car rides:
"Who needs a car seat anyway?"
In the past three weeks or so, Kate has started smiling and laughing a LOT more, and she's become such a good baby and is so fun to play with. Maybe one of these days we'll break down and actually buy a video camera.
The rest of the photos of the trip are posted here if you want to see them.
6 comments:
How fun-I love DW's family! Glad you had a nice Christmas.
I am so glad you had such a wonderful Christmas! We miss you guys - any plans to come to SLC?
Oh i'm so jealous. Monterey is one of my favorite places on earth. It's so beautiful there. great update and pics!
Hey cute girl!!! I am so glad I found your blog!! It has been forever... I had heard through the grapevine that you and Rich tied the knot,(congrats by the way, and Rich you are the best!!) but I guess I have been out of the loop for a while b/c I did not know about Baby Kate who is the cutest little girl ever!! I am so happy for you both!! Love ya!
Lindsey (Ricks)Benedict
Rich & Jamie!!! I hope you don't mind, I found your blog on a friend's site and was so excited to see that it was you guys!! This is Nikki Hunter Burke by the way!! You guys are so cute and your new addition is so dang cute!! Here is our blog address if you ever want to check in on us:
http://www.brendanandnikkiburke.blogspot.com/
Hope you guys are doing great!!
Jaime, thanks for the x-mas card! I'm glad you and Rich and baby Kate loved the outfit...I must admit she looks pretty cute in it. She is honestly gorgeous! You guys do good work. She is so cute, I wish you lived closer; I miss talking to you more. I love reading your blog...you guys are so funny. Talk to you soon.
Post a Comment