Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The Transformative Power of Paint

I admit that while we were getting ready to paint our house, I had almost convinced myself that a good coat of nicely colored paint would completely transform our home. While I've now realized that painting our house has not turned it into the ultimate dream home we've always wanted -- I still dislike our formica-topped wet bar, the fireplaces are still unattractive and our tile floors leave a lot to be desired -- the whole place looks warmer and is generally a far more comfortable place to live.

Here are the colors on which we finally (mostly) agreed:

Living room, dining room and guest room are this light, neutral shade called Linen Sand.

Family room is this pale green shade. Trim work and doors throughout are Swiss Coffee White.

Upstairs walls, stairwell and landing are this shade of tan.

Office walls are this shade of taupe, which was my vote for the walls in the upstairs hall as well. However, I also like the tan shade we went with.

Master bedroom is pale blue.

Kate's room, which we had painted ourselves months ago, is two tones of lavender. The custom curtains were made by Devoted Wife's designer-mother's drapery lady (thanks Angie!) and the glider rocker we were given by a neighbor was re-upholstered by one of her upholstery vendors. It helps to have a family member in the design business.

Downstairs bathroom is a different shade of pale blue. I guess its nice to have a soothing color in this room...

Next project: getting the drapes hung and the fireplaces redone. Oh, and buying living room furniture. Oh, and fixing the bannister so Kate can't stick her head through the bars. Oh, and . . .
The rest of the before and after photos of our remodel and painting are posted here.

4 comments:

Kim said...

oh, to be able to paint!! I've lived with white walls for 10 years. One day...

HeRoosSheRoos said...

The house looks fabulous! I think all the stress and compromising paid off. I can't wait to see it in person.

Kacey said...

I love the paint colors you too compromised on. (especially the nursery, so cute.) I've been cracking up reading your blog...our (as in Bill and I) biggest arguments have been about house decorating issues too. He has such an opinion! :-)

k8 said...

oh it looks so good! i love all those colors.