Saturday, July 5, 2008

Dad in Charge

"Youre leaving DAD in charge ?"

There is an art to managing responsibility.

For example, the key to not being given too much of it is to prove to others that you can't handle what you've been given. While I don't advocate this approach in your career, a measured application of this rule in rearing children can have its advantages.

Devoted Wife had some family commitments today, so it was my turn to take Kate for the day. When we informed Kate this morning that Dad was going to be in charge, the look on her face seemed to be somewhere between glee (at what she knew she'd be able to get away with) and terror (I think the reason why is obvious).

With Dad in charge, Kate got to do all sorts of things that Mom never lets her get away with, including:




Playing with the trash


Being truly FREE!



Ultimate Furniture Fighting (her cheek bears the evidence of her last fight)

The last activity, Ultimate Furniture Fighting, is a relatively new sport for Kate. Since she learned to pull herself to her feet and walk sideways using pieces of furniture for balance, she's seems to have something against the furniture and can frequently be found trying to take out her aggression on the furniture through a head butt or an elbow smash. She did OK in her first two or three fights in the junior league (a solid victory against Down Filled Couch and a close draw against Leather Ottoman), but she came up well short this morning in her fight against Wooden Chair -- she'll really have to increase the intensity of her training if she hopes to have any chance in her upcoming bouts with Coffee Table or Piano Leg.

Needless to say, Devoted Wife doesn't approve of Ultimate Furniture Fighting, and will certainly have words for me when she gets home tonight and sees the bruise forming on Kate's cheek. Chances are, she'll think twice next time before leaving Kate with me all day.

There's a method to my madness . . .

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Is that why whenever I leave Ammon & Campbell home together I come home to find they've been watching Scooby-Doo for hours?

Amy said...

Send us some pictures of all your new furniture. Oh, and when I left Dave home with the kids while I went to the temple and shopping one morning, I came home about 5 hours later (about 2pm)and all four kids came running to the car saying they were hungry and Dad never fed them. Dave was mowing the lawn completely oblivious.