Friday, January 2, 2009

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!


Merry Christmas from Rich, Jaime and Kate! (Note: I've been debating whether or not to keep referring to Jaime as "Devoted Wife" in this blog, but considering that our blog website address is http://richandjaime.blogspot.com I'm not sure if anyone is really still in the dark on Devoted Wife's secret identity.)

Our Christmas tree (after it fell over once); Kate ponders what Santa has in store for her

This year we spent Christmas in Utah with my parents and much of my family. Since we didn't want to pack all of our gifts up to Utah with us, we opened the ones we had for each other before we left California. Kate picked up on the unwrapping presents thing more quickly than I expected, but I guess I shouldn't have been so surprised: she is very good at most things that involve destruction. Here's Kate unwrapping a new copy of one of my favorite children's books:


Maybe we should stick to the books with the hard pages for a few more months. If you have the sound up loud enough for this clip, you can hear me observe aloud "I bet she's going to want to tear the pages . . . ." While I didn't roar a terrible roar, I gnashed my terrible teeth when she made this mischief.

When we flew to Utah on December 23, we left what we thought were frigid December temperatures in the high 40s and low 50s (see the pic above where we actually had to wear coats the evening we went to the outdoor mall to see it "snow" bubbles) and arrived in Salt Lake City to temperatures so cold I thought my blood was going to freeze in my veins. We of course picked the coldest night of the week -- that night -- to go to see the lights on Temple Square.



Somehow we survived the cold, and for Christmas and the next few days my parents' home was full of grandchildren (somehow we all survived that too). My parents currently have 16 grandkids, with numbers 17, 18 and 19 on the way (our little guy should be #19 when he's born in April), and all are younger than nine years old. All but three of the grandkids were at my parents house this Christmas season, which made for frequent battles and just as many enforced "I'm sorries".

On Sunday night when we were all finally together at the same time we had the Family Nativity Reenactment. I've heard stories of some families who each year reverently read the Christmas story from the New Testament and lovingly reenact the Holy Family's trip through Bethlehem looking for a place for the infant Jesus to lay his head. When my siblings and I were kids, our version was usually a combination of a rodeo (when one of the older children like me -- who had been chosen to play the donkey -- decided it was time to buck Mary off his back) and a ninja war between the shepherds and wise men, who wielded their makeshift shepherd's crooks like the bo staffs used by the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. My siblings and I were gratified that the next generation did us proud, as there was at least one fight (see below, where Olivia looks like she's about to throw a right cross to keep Austin from stealing her yellow staff) and plenty of irreverance.


And there was even a rodeo. Brady played the donkey this year in our pageant (complete with the rubber horse snout), and his brother Austin decided to show us all how a cowboy rides a bucking donkey:



The video I posted above was from take #2; when 2-yr-old Austin first jumped on 4-yr-old Brady's back and started kicking him in the ribs to get him to buck (this is apparently a family game), it was one of the funniest things I've seen in years. While we were all nearly crying with laughter, we scrambled for our videocameras and had them do one more round of bucking. If I had taped that first ride, I'd have a surefire winner for America's Funniest Home Videos.

We missed having Taylor's family (who are in Indiana) and Daniel (still in Brazil until July) with us, but got to talk with all of them and will see them all soon.

After arriving back in Southers California we were glad to find that the temperatures had returned to the 70s. I've enjoyed several days of watching college football, doing repairs on the house and putting toys together, including the baby doll set Kate received from my mom.


While so far Kate has shown very little interest in the dolls themselves, she does, however, try to get into the toy stroller, bassonet and baby carrier. I'll be surprised if they all last through the week. If this is jealosy, I hate to think what is going to happen when her little brother is born in a few months.

This week I was asked to shoot some engagement pictures for my sister-in-law and her fiancee, and because of the good weather we were able to do the shoot at a local park and duck pond. While I'd love to post some of my best pics, since the couple is still deciding on which ones they want to use I don't want to steal their thunder. I'll just post the one I snapped of Kate as she stood pondering whether she should chase a flock of ducks that were spread out across the grass. She wisely decided just to stand and watch them for a while.


5 comments:

HMichaelsen said...

Very fun! Looks like you had a great time, if not a cold time, too, in Utah.

Lucy said...

I loved the video of Kate opening the book. I got such a kick out of it!! We missed you guys, but hope to see you all soon.

k8 said...

I'm so glad i got to see that baby of yours over the break. miss you guys.

Tina W said...

Apparently, it's been quite a while since I've been to your house because I don't even recognize your living room! Glad to hear things are going well.

Tandy said...

Conratulations to you! You have a very cute little girl, too! It's been a long time, but you look just the same!
Good to see you!

www.liebhardtfamilycircus.blogspot.com