Friday, March 27, 2009

T-minus eleven days . . .

I see from the handy-dandy baby countdown widget at the upper left of our blog that our baby is due in just 11 days. Jaime tells me that while she feels like she physically can't get any bigger without exploding, she still doubts the baby is going to come early. But any way you slice it, we're within a couple of weeks of our little guy's arrival.

Comparing our preparation for child #2 to what we did before Kate was born reveals some interesting things about how much we must think we have things under control now. With Kate, we had prepared our nursery weeks in advance by adding crown molding, a chair rail, floating shelves and new baseboards, painting it a girly color and hanging letters spelling "K-A-T-E" on the wall. We had all of her clothes hanging in her closet (by season), had read What To Expect When You're Expecting, the American Academy of Pediatrics' Textbook of Pediatric Care, and Guess How Much I Love You? several times each and had our primary, secondary and emergency routes to the hospital mapped out on laminated cards kept in each vehicle (ok, not really - but I thought about it).

With this little guy, we basically went through a mental checklist while watching 30 Rock one night:

Me: "Hmmnn . . . do we know where the infant carseat is?"
Jaime: "I think it might be under the stairs but I don't know for sure."
Me: "Check!"

Jaime: "We don't have any newborn diapers..."
Me: "That's OK, I know where they sell them."
Jaime: "Check!"

Me: "Where's he going to sleep, since Kate's still in the crib?"
Jaime: "He'll be in the Pack-N-Play bassinet for a week or two after we get home from the hospital, so we have some time to figure that one out."
Me: "Check!"

Luckily Jaime's friends gave her a baby shower last week, or our little guy would probably be wearing a lot of cute, pink hand-me-downs.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Nice. We're only halfway to the arrival of #2, but I have a sense we are headed down that same road as far as preparation. I believe I remarked to Jared the other day, "Eh, I'll just pick up another package of onesies and we'll be set."

Kacey said...

So true. So true. I love it! (we did the same thing)

Kim said...

I remember thinking 5 white onsies is plenty- we are good. I think London had enough clothes for the octo babies!

Kristen said...

Ya, we were definitely in the mindset of "what are we going to do with baby #1" rather than "are we ready for baby #2." But I hope you're as good at updating the blog for this one as you were with Kate!!! Don't slack on the updates! And good luck Jaime!

Amy said...

Wait until you are "getting ready" for #5-- conversations are something like . . . "Oh yeah, by the way, just wanted to remind you that we're having a baby in a couple weeks--can you save a few hours of PTO for the occasion?--I can just meet you at the hospital."

Can't wait to see the new little guy!

Suzanne said...

Too Funny & So true!