Monday, April 6, 2009

Last Day as a Family of Three

Yesterday was a good day. We spent all day together as a family, just hanging out together and watching the broadcast of our church's worldwide semiannual conference. Jaime made cinnamon rolls and orange rolls for breakfast (thanks for your dough recipe, Mom!), which became my lunch as well, and for dinner I fired up the BBQ and did my magic.

As I said before, it was a good day, and I have to say I NAILED IT with dinner. Just ask Jaime's parents, who came for dinner. The London Broil was perfectly seasoned and cooked to perfection, the BBQ chicken was cooked just right, and I whipped up a spicy peanut sauce for the meats and grilled vegetables that was a surprise hit. Watching Jaime give me questioning looks as I threw together seemingly random ingredients to make the sauce "by taste" (who needs a recipe?) was entertaining. The stroke of genius was adding sour cream at the end to cut the heat and lighten the color. I have to say the end product was delicious and Jaime's dad liked it so much he finished off the sauce by eating it with tortilla chips like it was a dip. Hey, it did have a generous dollop of sour cream. Jaime was very kind and said nothing as I proceeded with my usual m.o. of using far too many dishes, pans and utensils to make the sauce (food processor, wok, blender, etc., two rubber scrapers, three knives, garlic press, etc.). I guess she's learned that sometimes you just have to stand back and let genius happen.

After dinner we took a few family pictures of us on what we thought would be our last day as a family of three, given that Jaime was scheduled to have her labor induced first thing the next morning (more to come on that).

Kate was so tired that she would only stay still for pictures while Jaime's mom jumped up and down, making circus animal noises. I think the neighbors enjoyed the experience too.

Jaime was very glad that early the next morning we'd be going to the hospital and she'd finally be having this baby. I think she looks great:

At about 5:30 this morning the phone rang and Jaime jumped out of bed to locate it before it woke up Kate and her mom, who had stayed to watch Kate when we went to the hospital. Watching her spring out of bed made me wonder if she was really nine months pregnant. It was the hospital calling to let us know that they were backed up in the labor and delivery rooms and that they'd have to put us on hold for a few hours, and that if we'd call back in about three hours they'd let us know when they thought they could get us in. So we've been having a leisurely morning, waiting for things to slow down at the hospital. It sort of made me think of having a baby like ordering salami in a deli -- just take a number and wait.

UPDATE: Just this minute (9:10 a.m. California time) the hospital called and told us to "slowly come on in." I love that they said to come in "slowly." So we'll head for the hospital now! More updates to come...

No comments: