Monday, October 22, 2007

California Burning update: Nightsky fire contained

The Ventura County Star reports here that the Nightsky Fire is now 100% contained and is expected to be fully extinguished by 5 p.m. tonight (another VCS article on the Nightsky fire is here). That's the one that is essentially on the border of our neighborhood. We're doing well and our only current concern is whether the heavy smoke from the Piru fire (its very smoky in Moorpark right now as the wind continues to blow strongly from the north) poses a health risk for our Baby Kate. We're trying to find out whether portable air filters are effective at filtering smoke particles; if so, we'll probably buy one and keep it running in the room where Baby Kate lives her life of leisure. If you have any experience with these portable air filters, including any types or brands that you think do or do not work well for smoke, we'd appreciate the input. [UPDATE 10/24: We bought the only air filter left on the shelf at Home Depot after finding that Target was sold out. It seems to be working, and the air is clearing outside somewhat as well.]

We've also checked the batteries in our flashlights (our power was off and on yesterday, presumably due to the high winds knocking down power lines) and have located our 72-hour kits (almost certainly overkill given the low risk of fire spreading to our area, but when you can see smoking hillsides from your back door it definitely puts you on alert). At least the Emergency Preparedness Fair our church is hosting on Saturday should be well attended!

5 comments:

Annie said...

Rich! Jaime! So glad to hear you are OK - Jordan & are thinking of you. Your wee one is beautiful. we miss you!

k8 said...

thanks a lot, you guys sent your fires down to us!

Kristen said...

I don't know about air purifiers...but I would definately recommend a cool mist humidifier. The air is SO dry and irriating right now!

Kim said...

I can only imagine what it's like there. I haven't opened my windows down here and surely it's not anything compared to anywhere else. Keep updating for us.

f*bomb. said...

I am delighted to find you're a reader! And I am even MORE excited to see Baby Kate!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!