Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Day 2, and the novelty hasn't worn off yet

Today Kate taught us that the laws of physics can be defied. OK, maybe not the laws of physics, but at least some governing principles. I'm pretty sure there is some rule of physics that says that matter cannot be created or destroyed. However, today Kate made matter cease to exist. I'll tell you how.

While she wasn't too keen on eating last night, she learned today that the food her mom freely offers her is pretty darn good. So good that she appeared to consume well in excess of her own body weight throughout the course of the day. The mystery lies in the fact that when you subtract the mass of what came OUT of her today (which was admittedly rather impressive) from the mass of what she took INTO herself today, there is definitely a lot missing. See? Mass disappearing without any physical explanation!

Those science-minded among you might be tempted to post a comment attacking my reasoning, suggesting that some of the mass is transferred and lost as energy. That sounds pretty convincing, until you realize that the most energy expended in the course of her day is shown here:



No, the answer is clear: Baby Kate defies the laws of physics. If we could just get her to run backward we might be able to solve the world's energy crisis.

I took more photos today, including some very nice ones of mom and baby learning to "latch on." However, I might not be able to post those until I get the age verification software enabled and the proper legal forms signed. So don't hold your breath. Yesterday's photos are all still posted here.

Kate is very mellow compared to a lot of the other babies in the nursery right now, which I of course attribute to a high degree of confidence and strong sense of identity. When we bring her home tomorrow (actually today, given the time I'm writing this), we'll inform her of the rules requiring her to sleep through the night without waking Mom and Dad. While we're new to this sort of thing, it shouldn't be hard to convince her of the wisdom of this rule, right? I think she'll find the logic compelling.

Time to get some sleep . . . this may be the last night I experience without a crying baby for months.

2 comments:

Kim said...

What a darling little girl. Thanks for the awesome updates, I already love your blog. Congrats to you and Jamie. Seth and I sure miss you both. I'm sure my comment will link to our blog if you want to see what's in store for you in just a few months.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on a beautiful little baby! I love seeing her pictures and reading Dad's commentary. Good luck! Love, Auntie Jackie