Nothing wrong with a little college pride, right?
My family and friends (and even occasional readers of this blog) know that I'm an avid college sports fan, especially when my BYU Cougars are playing. And while Devoted Wife doesn't closely follow her Southern Utah University Thunderbirds (not too many of their games are broadcast in So Cal), in her heart she'll always be a T-Bird. (She graciously doesn't cheer loudly for the school where she earned her Masters Degree -- the Utah Utes are my Cougars' arch rivals.)
Luckily for our marital peace there aren't too many times when SUU and BYU go head- to-head, as the schools are in different conferences and different NCAA classifications. However, occasionally the two schools will cross paths: that's when it gets nasty at our house.
So when a college friend of Devoted Wife's sent Kate a SUU t-shirt, I had to quickly order a BYU shirt for her from the BYU Bookstore to make sure the Cougars were represented. We took a few photos of her in the t-shirts, and Devoted Wife's been running her mouth ever since about how Kate smiled more while wearing the SUU shirt.
That did it! "Its ON!" I bellowed. After a short negotiation, we agreed to go head-to-head here, in this forum . . . so vote by leaving us a comment on which shirt (BYU or SUU) you like her in best! We've agreed that we'll go to the winning school's homecoming this fall. So, "Rise and shout, the Cougars are out!!!"
If this catches on, next week we'll vote on whether the Los Hermanos chicken chimichanga is better than a Brad's corn dog and tater tots . . .
--------------
UPDATE 3/17: The polls have now closed. Read the comments to find out who won (and who will be spending homecoming in Provo . . . ;)
32 comments:
I can't see the pictures but I don't have to see the pic to KNOW the winner...and I have to defend BYU with an Aggie in my house -- Talk about marital tension! Go Cougars!
Kate is a red girl all the way. Go T-Birds
SUU...
OK, I think I fixed the pictures so they can be viewed now, but now I can't get them side by side. My HTML skills are limited . . .
The blue definitely brings out her eyes more. :-)GO COUGARS!!!!
Seriously. She is so cute! I bet you are the best dad, ever!!!
Doesn't Kate's smile say it all as she sports the red. GO T-BIRDS! I can't wait to see you at homecoming.
um, DUH. That little girl is a T-Bird through and through.
Rich,
What an adorable little cutie. Katie and I love your blog because we really enjoy getting updates on you and little Kate. Hope you guys are well. Can't wait to see you when you're up in Utah on Memorial Day.
steve & katie
She definitely looks better as a Cougar.
She is smiling very brightly in that SUU shirt, but we are going to say GO COUGARS!!!! For sure BYU baby!
BYU...
I have to vote again because the t-birds are getting behind...this vote is for Max. By the way, I think she is concentrating on releasing some gas as she wears the blue shirt.
SheRoos, I think you have to have a birth certificate to vote in this contest . . .
Sorry Jaime - I have to go with my Cougs...
Go T-Birds...plus with SUU being an 1/8 the size of BYU...I think the T-Bird vote should count all the more!!! We also have Brad's Food Hut which Kate will love.
She smiled bigger in the SUU shirt but the "Y" brought out the blue in her eyes! Go Cougars!
The Y wins it by a landslide...Go Yale!
Everybody looks better in blue. Go Cougars!
Although I have no loyalty to SUU, I cannot, will not, and shall not ever vote in favor of my school’s arch rival BYU. In other words, I vote for SUU if only for the reason that BYU SUCKS and the UTES RULE! (p.s. I must admit though when you click on the full image in the SUU shirt it looks like a bit more of a cry than a smile)
HeRoos
No contest! She is definitely a T-bird like her mama! Count us for two votes, me and hubby love our good old SUU!
She is way too cute in both of them! Love her eyes:)
BYU Cougars all the way!!
BYU!!!!
SUU - of course! Easy question... but not as easy as Brad's vs Los Hermanos. That comparison is borderline insulting. Los Hermanos is amazing and Brad's is OK - at best.
I just have to comment on how beautiful your little kate is. She is absolutely stunning. Good job, guys! And of course I'm going to have to vote BYU. :)
FINAL TALLY:
While we didn't specify how long the polls would be open, we've now determined that they've been open long enough for all to have a chance to vote. Final tally: Cougars 12, T-Birds 10 (and that's even letting Max vote before he was born). I wish we knew who the 5 anonymous votes came from (Devoted Wife assures me that my suspicions of SheRoos are unfounded).
See you in Provo for homecoming!
WE did not decide the voting is over!!
Megan's vote: SUU
Grandpa Anderson: SUU
Nonna: SUU
These are legitimate...I think that changes the finally tally 13-12. See you in Cedar City!!
I'm sorry, the inspector of elections only accepts votes from people that take the time to log in and comment. No voting by proxy.
This is starting to look like Florida . . .
I am coming out of the closet as one of the anonymous posts. I am Sarah Black Hexbergs SIL Michelle. I linked to your blog from hers(Some would call it blog stalking, I hope you don't mind). I saw your post and had to comment. I could not live with myself or my husband if I didn't vote for the Cougars!!GO COUGARRRS!!
I thought is was ok to vote for my future children and label the votes as anonymous...just kidding! I only voted twice (once for me and once for Max who also received a T-bird shirt in the mail from Ron). I can't wait to see you in Cedar and drink lime rickies from Brad's Food Hut.
Post a Comment