This year's race drew the largest crowds in the race's four year history, due in no small part to the fact that this race marked Lance Armstrong's return to pro cycling after a 3-1/2 year hiatus. Given that the Pasadena stage was the stage nearest Hollywood, several celebrity guests were on hand to help support our charitable initiative that we sponsor in connection with the race. That meant that we got some coverage from the TV tabloid press as well:
We had a great time, and Jaime mentioned afterward that she wished she had come with me to watch the race in previous years. I think she really enjoyed the excitement from the competition. Or maybe this was the reason she enjoyed herself so much:
Jaime with guest jersey presenter Luke Wilson in our sponsor hospitality tent
Two-time defending champion Levi Leipheimer finished Stage 7 as the overall leader, and on Sunday won the 2009 race as the overall champion. His Astana teammate Lance Armstrong finished 7th overall, and spent much of the 8-day race riding to help position Leipheimer for the victory.
Individual leaders, including eventual winner Levi Leipheimer in leader's yellow jersey

Levi heads to the Astana team van after the finish
Levi heads to the Astana team van after the finish
It was an exciting day, and while we were there Jaime remarked to me: "I think I want to get into cycling." To me it sounded a bit like the "I think I want to get into sewing" comment I heard her say when watching "Project Runway" on TV. But I can absolutely support her in this effort. I think we'll get out our tandem beach cruiser bike and take a few laps around the block this weekend -- that may be as close as we get for a while.
3 comments:
I love me some Wilson brothers.
Hey Richard,
That is exciting. My husband Spencer watched that on t.v. He has decided to do an ironman so he has been getting really into the bike stuff. He rides about three hours a day. That is really cool that you were there.
Megan
i can't believe jaime got to stand next to Luke Wilson. I'm drooling.
Post a Comment