Thursday, April 3, 2008

Tennis, Anyone?

"Now Dad, is THIS how I should pronate my wrist?"

While some may claim its too early for Kate to learn the basics of a good grip and good serve, I disagree completely. That's why we've been putting in extra time at the club this past month; those long practice sessions will really pay dividends in the end. We've lined up a match for her against a friend's son (he's nearly 7 1/2 months and really cocky) in order to push her. I'm pleased with her physical progress but am really sensing that she's lacking mental toughness. She's got to get tougher at the net: yesterday she fell asleep right in the middle our serve-and-volley session.

I learned today that some of Devoted Wife's friends have been surprised that I blog - they apparently think blogging is just for moms to write about how great their children are (a practice I completely support, by the way). I'll admit that the content on my blog is mostly about my family (after all, I entitled it "Adventures in Babyraising"), but that's primarily because I feel an obligation to share our child with the world, given how beautiful, talented and gifted she is. I'm sure you all agree with me that keeping her to ourselves would be just plain selfish.

But blogging really gives me a chance to write sentences that don't include the words "corporation," "securities," "plaintiff," "biotechnology" and "the reasonable investor." It gives me the opportunity to think about and discuss concepts other than disclosure obligations, registration statements, Sarbanes-Oxley, permanent injunctions and monoclonal antibodies. But because the blogosphere is completely public and things one writes seem to have a way of coming back at the wrong times, I've found that discussing the latest escapades of Baby Kate likely carries fewer hazards than taking on emotional issues such as the presidential campaign, the proper role of the federal government, the Iraq war, illegal immigration or the eternal question of "Less Filling!" vs. "Tastes Great!". After all, I don't want to torpedo my chances to one day be appointed to the Supreme Court. (Note to rookie bloggers: if you wish to maintain anonymity in your writing, be careful not to tell everyone in your office to check out the cute pics of your baby on your blog . . . hi guys!)

And besides, Devoted Wife and Baby Kate are really the best things I've got going for me. So, at least for now, they'll probably be the subject matter of most of my posts. It's something with which I wrestled with but eventually came to terms when I first started this blog.

But one day when I'm independently wealthy, I'll devote my writing to my true passion: the working time machine I'm building in my garage.

7 comments:

Emily said...

Time Machine.....I love it.

Kacey said...

I really enjoy reading your blog (you are so cleverly funny!) and I find it refreshing coming from a dad perspective. Honestly, I think many more dad's should follow in your footsteps...

Tina W said...

Very cute tennis gear. But really, she looks so tall. Is it the angle of the photos? She's still just so cute.

Whitney said...

That little Kate is darling! Found you through Lindsay's blog...hope it's ok to take a peek and hope all is well. -- Whitney (Morgan)

Annie said...

I love that you blog Rich! How else would we see pics of the lovely Kate and DW? Miss you guys.

k8 said...

this is honestly one of my very favorite family blogs. you are a delightful writer rich.

HeRoosSheRoos said...

Has DW ever sported her tennis outfit for you? I'm sure there are a few guys from SUU who can tell you exactly what it looked like. I think she was the only one in Cedar who owned a "real" tennis skirt and top.