Saturday, April 26, 2008

What's for Dinner?

As Devoted Wife and I were running errands today, we were looking for a place to have lunch and got into the conversation that we typically have when looking in our town for somewhere to get a good, quick meal:

Me: So, what do you feel like?
DW: What do I FEEL like, or what is there that is actually around here?
Me: Well, the latter . . .
DW: Because if you were asking what I FEEL like eating, I'd say Pei Wei, Wahoo's or perhaps even a burrito from Cafe Rio.
Me: Well, as you know, there is no Pei Wei, Wahoo's or Cafe Rio around here. Not for miles.
DW: But a Cafe Rio would do so WELL here, I know it!
Me: No argument here. So come up with the $3 million investment and we'll start a franchise or two.
DW: Hmmmnnn. How 'bout we just go home and have the frozen orange chicken from Trader Joe's.
Me: OK.

Devoted Wife reminded me today that during the first week after we moved into our new house (just over a year ago), we tried the local Chinese restaurant and were sorely disappointed. But the best part of that memory was recalling the discovery I made that night: of the sixteen men eating in that restaurant that night, I was the only one that didn't have a mustache. Even a couple of the women had mustaches. I'm sure they knew we were outsiders.

6 comments:

Kim said...

oh, we love that frozen orange chicken. Just the thing when I've forgotten about dinner.

Anonymous said...

Jaime,
So it has been so long since grad school, but I saw your blog from Emily's and I had to say hi! you look awesome and congrats on the beautiful baby girl. Kids are the best. I am going to set up a blog this week so I will let you know what my address is.

Michelle Bridge Barrus

HeRoosSheRoos said...

Funny-I can totally hear this conversation playing out.

k8 said...

Sometimes i miss both DW and Pei Wei so much it hurts : )

Kristen said...

I have never known anyone who can pinpoint their exact food desire as well as an Anderson. It's either a gift or a curse. ;-)_

Kristen said...

I have never known anyone who can pinpoint their exact food desire as well as an Anderson. It's either a gift or a curse. ;-)